Hi, my name is John Strubel. I am a freelance baseball journalist from Charleston, South Carolina. This is my personal web site and portfolio. My writing is predominantly related to my greatest passion in life: baseball. I also include stories on sports personalities, sports media, social media, and related content that impact and influence the sports industry.
My goal is simple: to create insightful, relevant content that will inform and entertain. If you are a baseball fan—or as sports fan in general—then this website is for you. I typically post three to five times a week. To make sure you don’t miss my newest posts, you can subscribe via RSS.
I have been a working member of the media since 1987. In addition to media relations and broadcast work for the Detroit Tigers and Tampa Bay Rays minor league affiliates, my career spans 25 years in the radio industry as a on-air personality, program director and sports-talk show host.
I am a graduate of Charleston Southern University. I have earned an undergraduate in Organizational management and a Master of Science in Organizational Management.
I am a member of the Society for Professional Journalists and the Society for American Baseball Research. I have been freelance writing since 2000. I have been published nationally, regionally and locally in newspapers and magazines including:
- SportsTravel Magazine
- FCA Magazine
- New York SportsScene
- North Charleston Magazine
- CSU Magazine
- Charleston City Paper
MY TOP POSTS
If you are new to my site, you might want to start with my most popular posts. Here are my top posts in each category:
- Nightmare on Boylston Street (CSU Magazine)
- Hometown Hero (COVER STORY: FCA Magazine)
- Comfortable in His Own Skin (COVER STORY: FCA Magazine)
- Stumbling Block and Stepping Stones (COVER STORY: Charleston City Paper)
- Gary Smith: Going Deep (Charleston City Paper)
- Breaking the Silence (Charleston City Paper)
- The Devil is a Liar (Charleston City Paper)
- Horse Diapers, Hoops and Hurricanes (CSU Magazine)
- Two Pitchers in One (COVER STORY: Charleston City Paper)
- Running on Faith (CSU Magazine)
- Unfinished Business (New York SportsScene Magazine)
- Method to the Madness (SportsTravel Magazine)
- Winter of Reckoning, Spring of Hope (CSU Magazine)
- A Kiss from Jesus (FCA Magazine)
- Mills Mirrors Father in Faith and Football (CSU Magazine)
New York Mets
- Backstory: Sidd Finch at 25
- No End in Sight
- A Bag of Balls and a lot of Questions
- Subway Series: Dave Who?
- Benny and the Mets
- The Education of Daniel Murphy
- A City Heals with their Sox On
- Tebowing shows ignorance
- A Gong Show Disguised as a Baseball Team
- The Subtle Danger of Talent
- Like Snowflakes
Sports and Social Media
- Are fans distracted by mobile phones?
- Red Sox, Mets shoutout Twitter
- Anti-Social Media
- Love of Game Drives Mets Fans to Blogosphere
This is my personal web site. The opinions I express here are my own. The information I provide is on an as-is basis.